09 July 2015

My KanColle experience

I first heard of Kantai Collection (or popularly known as KanColle) on January 2014. It was featured on Imagine-Nation, a Japanese magazine show in NHK World that features anime, manga, and games.
 
 
KanColle is a flash browser game (a naval strategy game to be specific) where players (known as the admirals or teitoku) battle against the Abyssals to free the seas. The game was based on the World War 2 era whereNew players need to get in the lottery for them to get in the game. To be honest, getting in the lottery as a noob is seriously hard... You don't know what to do... You don't know how to get in... You don't know how to deal with the lottery.
 
 
 
So here's the thing!
 
For those who aspire to be a player of the game, they have to check their Twitter account regarding the lottery. The time mentioned in their tweets are always in a 24-hour format. I use the Google Translate in order for me to understand their tweet. To get a slot in the lottery, you should be at least 30 minutes before the official lottery starts.
 
For more of the lottery stuff, refer to this page.
 
I consulted my friend who also plays KanColle... and he helped me get in the lottery.
 
It needs to set up a DMM account first before you play in the game because the game is set in their site.
 
Welp... I got in the lottery and set up my IGN. Many people said that the IGN should be in Japanese. Since I got an English keyboard, I wrote the whole thing in Romaji.
 
It is a strategy game where the players need to fight enemy fleet, engage in in PvP exercises, and venture into expeditions. The basic resources in the game are fuel, ammo, steel and bauxite. Special resources includes furniture coins, repair buckets, DevMats, and instant build (not displayed in the image). The ways to increase your resources are (1) by natural regen for 3 seconds (where 3 fuel/ammo/steel; 1 bauxite is regenerated); (2) Expeditions; and (3) resource nodes in the sortie map.
 
Displayed in the HUD of every player is the resources they had.
 
I find it hard to use since I don't know at first that there are quests to fulfill. However, the walkthroughs and tutorials from the Internet really helped me a lot. Moreover, some tips from my friends and veteran TTK (shortned for teitoku) on the Facebook groups I joined in really helped a lot.
 
A certain friend of mine (foreign friend) suggested to join Himeuta Channel, a known Kantai Collection forum around the Internet. I did her suggestion and joined that forum. I asked a lot in their forum.
 
Just to be honest with it, it is not a friendly KanColle community because there a lot of troll users and new players will easily get out of place (OP for short) in the conversation along the threads, especially in their chat thread. Their community system is rigged up. It's not a friendly community because of their rotten reputation system. People will just give you negative reps for silly, nooby, and out-of-place questions/replies (on certain sections of the forum) where they give the negative reps out of no reason (just to troll your profile).
 
The wiki can help you a lot in knowing much about the game. Joining Facebook groups about KanColle can also help you get to know more about the game, since it is a more convenient way to know more about the game instead of joining forums (as they can be means for phishing your game credentials). However, the rules set by Facebook groups may vary from group to group... just make sure you abide by their rules.
 
For now, I've been playing for two months... and there's an upcoming event by summer... for which, I'm preparing my resources for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment